After a few years in the graphic design business, you realize how important it is to get the basics right. Like using proper font and color combinations, implementing visual hierarchy, using grids, alignment, white space, and so on.
The team at Visme, an online tool for creating infographics and presentations, has come up with an excellent visual list of 19 graphic design rules that differentiate the pros from the amateurs. Check them out below.
1. Using words instead of visuals
2. Poor readability
3. Too many fonts
4. Bad kerning
5. Poor color combinations
6. Lack of white space
7. Placing elements arbitrarily
8. Lack of contrast
9. Improper scaling
10. Ignoring visual hierarchy rules
11. Illegible text
12. Improper font combinations
13. Inadequate space between lines
14. Using low-res images
15. Striving for complete symmetry
16. Lack of effective comminucation
17. Using cliches
18. Ignoring the medium
Watch the video version
Share this post with a designer friend and voice your views in the comments below. All images © Visme.